Evolution & the 2nd law?

David Snyder dasnyder at uci.edu
Tue Nov 28 20:28:12 EST 1995

Dear Dr. Sepp,

Do you have references.  I am starting to do some theoretical work in
terms of the information passed through genes and am hoping to use wave
mechanics (I know it sounds far afield) to do some modeling.  Prigogine's
work would probably be quite useful for my edification so if you could
direct me to your source, it would be greatly appreciated.

David Snyder
dasnyder at uci.edu
In article <49eu3u$1fp at is.bbsrc.ac.uk>, Armin Sepp
<Armin.Sepp at bbsrc.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The physicist's answer to the problem why there is life on Earth is
perhaps offered by  a  Belgian
> physicist (and Nobel man) Ilya Prigogine who devoted his life to the
thermodynamics of
> non-equilibrium systems. As I understood, if there is flux of energy
through an open system this
> can lead to _local_decrease in entropy, i.e. to the rise of ordered
systems, that persist as long
> as there is input of energy. Classical examples are chemical
oscillations, vortexes in heated