Phylogenetic compatative programs-shareware?

Warren Lathe madda at
Fri Sep 1 15:50:46 EST 1995

In <425ban$sgc at> joe at (Joe Felsenstein) writes:

>In article <1995Aug31.153713.28804 at>,
>Warren Lathe <madda at> wrote:
>of sequences)
>>You can get PAUP from (
>>Phylip from ( and other programs
>>from (gopher://megasun.BCH.UMontreal.CA:70/11/CMB/Phylogeny)

>I was amazed to hear that you could get PAUP by ftp and was sure David Swofford
>would be enraged to hear of this.  However on checking the site:

>I find that it contains instead a large and highly useful catalogue
>describing Molecular Biology computer programs.  The material on PAUP is a
>description of it (written by me, actually, and taken from my PHYLIP
>documentation).  So the "PAUP" that may have showed up in a keyword search
>wasn't a downloadable program.

Of course you are correct :).  It was in a list of sites I had saved over a
year ago.  It's been a while since I've checked.
Of course, to receive PAUP, it can't be downloaded through the net :).  Sorry.

>Joe Felsenstein         joe at     (IP No.
> Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Box 357360, Seattle, WA 98195-7360

Warren C. Lathe III (Trey)
Biology Department
University of Rochester
email: trey at
The juvenile seasquirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable rock
or coral to cling to and make its home for life. For this task it has a
rudimentary nervous system. When it finds its spot and takes root, it
doesn't need its brain anymore so it eats it.It's rather like getting tenure.