interactive tree drawing

mathog at mathog at
Sat Sep 16 11:13:41 EST 1995

In article <43bvuh$caf at>, kim at (Jan T. Kim) writes:
>joe at (Joe Felsenstein) wrote:
>>This is almost a perfect description of the very nice X windows program
>>TreeTool.  Here is a description of it, from my PHYLIP documentation and
>>from our Web-borne phylogeny software list
>>"Mike Maciukenas, at the Department of Microbiology of the University
>>of  Illinois, has written a wonderful X-windows based interactive tree-plotting
>>program called TreeTool.  It takes as input a PHYLIP  tree  file, [...]
>Thank you for this info. Unfortunately, however, TreeTool does not only need
>X, but also XView, which apparently compiles on Sun workstations. I have not
>been able to compile XView on the Indigo here, so it seems I won't be able to
>compile and use TreeTool  :-(

I'll second that.

Will all you developers who use Suns *please* stop requiring XView for your
X11 applications - it just isn't that portable, and a lot of us don't have
Suns.  My other pet peeve - please be sure that your code will pass cleanly
through your ANSI C compiler in its strictest mode.  On every Unix system
I've used the ANSI C compiler defaults to a (very) "relaxed" mode, giving
the programmer the false sense that they are writing ANSI C clean code when
they are not.

David Mathog
mathog at