Sequence alignments -- where to chop?

Byron Adams bjadams at CRCVMS.UNL.EDU
Mon Apr 22 09:47:53 EST 1996

>In article <v01510100ad99de29eb06@[]>,
>bjadams at CRCVMS.UNL.EDU (Byron Adams) writes:

>>         Cutting the gap out might violate some of the assumptions
>> associated with certain types of analyses, such as statistical or distance
>> methods.
>I could be wrong but ....
>as long as you cut the same section out of all the sequences, you actually
>protect yourself from these "violations".   The classic violation is to
>break the so called triangle inequality.
>Des Higgins

I could be wrong but .... I think you're right.

Byron J. Adams
University of Nebraska
406 Plant Sciences Hall
P.O. Box 830722
Lincoln, NE 68583-0722
(402) 472-2858                      "Wilderness, once we have given
fax (402) 472-2853                   it up, is beyond our
bjadams at               reconstruction."
badams at                 -Wallace Stegner