Propositions concerning NH treefiles

Joe Felsenstein joe at
Tue Apr 30 00:40:41 EST 1996

In article <1996Apr29.111128 at>,  <higgins at> wrote:
>> Joe Felsenstein mentions in a different followup post that you could use
>> the proposed label format of NH to do this.  That would indeed keep
>> us all happy as long as everyone switched to it.  Go to it Joe :-).
>Sorry, me again (now I am talking to myself).  I read what Joe said again
>and it looks like those labels were always in the NH format.  The problem
>is finding the format definition.

Well, there are two problems:
  (1) I need to find time to finish and publish the Newick's tree format
      paper, including getting its authors to comment on whatever I write.
     (By the way they have so far voted for calling it "Newick's" (the
      name of the restaurant) rather than "New Hampshire".
  (2) We need to get our own programs to adhere to our own standard.  My
      PHYLIP package is one of the least-adhering.  We hope to change that
      in a  good way at the next major release.  Right now those labels that
      I advocated actually are within the standard -- but will cause trouble
      in my own programs!

Joe Felsenstein         joe at     (IP No.