MolEvol Fellowships/Grants

Kevin Scott kscott at maxwell.ucsf.edu
Thu Aug 8 17:06:29 EST 1996

This is a summary of responses to an earlier posting on funding
earmarked for molecular evolution.

I received nine responses, all asking for for a summary of responses.
No pointers to funding for molecular evolution.  Two of the responses
indicated it is appropriate to apply for grants that apply to genetics.
One response pointed out that the practical applications of phylogeny are
limited and the funding is correspondingly limited.  While it may have
some impact on the folding of proteins with similar sequences and measuring
the appropriateness of a given animal for testing a given product, evidence
appears to show that there is no money specifically earmarked for molecular
evolution.  I guess I'll have to compete in a bigger pond.

If anyone hesitated to respond previously there appears to be
enough interest to justify posting.  The one I had found previously
that looks promising for those *not already* in the field is:

Joint Postdoctoral Fellowships in Computational Molecular Biology
Dr. Michael S. Teitelbaum
Sloan-U.S. Department of Energy
c/o Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
630 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2550
New York, NY 10111-0242

This money is earmarked for those in related fields to encourage
them to make the transition to a new field.  The deadline has
passed on this source of funding for i996.

Best Wishes, Kevin