Question reguarding society negating evolution

Jeff Gordon jbgordon at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 19 02:00:38 EST 1996

Please keep in mind that I'm not a professional, I just want to throw a
couple ideas off someone who is.

Ok, since evolution is based upon survival of the fittest, and many
would say that times are far less tough in organized society, could it
be said (assuming that human beings are, indeed, capable of evolution
(which I believe)) that humans are evolving more slowly in their
present condition?

I saw a show today where a guy said that sometime in the next millenium
human population would hit a wall.  He said that famine would aflict
the masses. This would seem to be a condition in which evolution would
flourish.  Perhaps it is society's little joke to stave off normal
evolutionar patterns like shaking up a soda can, so that if you lift
the tab- woosh!

I'm just wondering if any of you have any input as to whether this may
or may not be a valid idea.  Please don't flame me for ignorance.

Thanx.