Maximum Likelihood Analysis Question

Ron Kagan rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 19 11:51:26 EST 1996

For those of you who have used maximum likelihood analysis (DNAML and
DNAMLK of Felsenstein's Phylip package): What level of significance do
you use for the likelihood ratio between the log likelihoods w and w/o
the molecular clock, to reject the null hypothesis of the molecular
clock?  Is p<0.05 still the standard, or should I use a stricter criteria
(p<0.01)?

Thanks,

Ron Kagan

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms.  Crouch down and lick the hands which
feed you.  May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget
that ye were our countrymen."

                        - Samuel Adams, 1776

Ron M. Kagan, Ph.D.
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, UCLA