Maximum Likelihood Analysis Question

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin at is.dal.ca
Tue Aug 20 08:41:03 EST 1996

Wnn System Account (aka Joe Felsenstein) wrote:

>     If you're doing phylogenies within a genus of dicky-birds,
>     it is a natural thing to test.   Does anyone imagine that they would
>     have grossly-different rates of molecular evolution?  It would be
>     strange if they did.  Morphology is, of course, a different matter.

Well, if you change "grossly-different" to "different" and "dicky-birds"
to "ducky-birds" (genus Anas), then there would appear to be evidence
for different rates in different lineages, both for molecular and
morphological evolution.  See:

  Omland, K.E. 1994.  Character Congruence Between a Molecular and
  a Morphological Phylogeny for Dabbling Ducks (Anas).  Syst.
  Biol. 43(3): 369-386.

Omland has some more recent work that is more convincing with
respect to correlations of lineage-specific rates between molecular
and morphological evolution, but I don't know whether it has
been published yet.

Arlin
--
Arlin Stoltzfus