Proof to disprove the RNA first theory

Cameron Neylon cam at rsc.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 26 02:29:14 EST 1996

raiz1 at ix.netcom.com(Lorrie Kim Tanabe-Nolley) writes:
>   >I read an article in New Scientist the other day and something caught
>   >my eye regarding the RNA first theory.  I read that Kauffman and other
>   >biochemists were working on experiments to prove the theory wrong and
>   >that they expected results within 2-3 years.
>   >Does anyone know the nature of these experiments?
>
> Kauffman's working on experiments? There's something worthy of a news
> article :)

Quite :) My understanding of the article was the Kauffman's theory (that
life evolved from a metabolic rather than a gentic unit) would be confirmed
ina  few years because enough complete genomes would be known to be able
to determine what the original metabolic unit was. At least thats what
Kauffman seemed to be saying.