ribosomal RNAs

Marta Riutort martar at porthos.bio.ub.es
Tue Dec 3 06:36:13 EST 1996

species, we have also found a case, within the Platyhelminthes, in which
various species of a same family have two different types of 18S rDNA
sequences. These two types diverge by around an 8% in their sequence, and
although both seem to be functional (because the secondary structure is
conserved), we have only found one in the form of RNA. (Mol. Biol. Evol.
13(6):824-832). Of course the existence of these two types can affect the
use of this molecule as a phylogenetic tool, if one have (inadvertedly)
sequences of different types for the different species to compare, one will
get a wrong phylogeny.

  Marta Riutort
  Dpt. de Genetica
  Fac. de Bilogia