Anyone Seen Evolution?

Jeffrey Allan Simon jbsimon at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 4 18:14:44 EST 1996

In article <m0vPkk2-0000JgC at uctmail.uct.ac.za>,
	ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA ("Ed Rybicki") wrote:

>> To:            mol-evol at net.bio.net
>> From:          Jeff Bush <jbush at afit.af.mil>
>> Subject:       Re: Anyone Seen Evolution?
>> Date:          Mon, 18 Nov 1996 17:02:34 -0500
>
>Jeff trawled...
>
>>... My question was pointing at *observing* a
>> benifitial mutation in the genetic code.
>
>sp: beneficial B-)
>
>And yes, if you take BK virus (a polyomavirus) out of the urine of
>immunosuppressed patients, and cycle it in tissue culture (in which
>it initially refuses to grow), checking it frequently by PCR and
>sequencing, you will find that tissue culture-adapted mutants arise,
>all of which independently have rearranged their "control regions".
>In other words, the viruses mutate at a hot-spot, and the ones which
>are viable come through.  VERY beneficial, for the virus.  And can be
>found in the lit in J Virol by Rubinstein and Harley some years ago.
>
>So sorry, Jeff, one can and does observe beneficial mutations.
>Another is the one(s) which allow Mycobacterium tuberculosis (causes
>TB) to become resistant to certain antibiotics - and yes, one can
>prove it is mutation and not pre-existing sequence by PCRing the
>gene(s) in question before and after seeing the resistance arise in
>culture, making a library, and looking for it/them.
>
>Back to the Book, Jeff....
>

>                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
>      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
>   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
>   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
>      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
>    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html
>
>    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."

Fascinating Ed, but tell me, what is the name of this new species that has "evolved?"  These
appear to be examples of microevolution.  These examples cannot be used to extrapolate from E
coli to man.  An organism adapting to its environment is a great example of natural selection,
but natural selection is just as compatible with creation.  With the billions of years of
evolution, there should be better examples of evolution, both in the present and in the past.
Back to your hypothesizing Ed.....