Anyone Seen Evolution?

Ed Rybicki ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Thu Dec 5 07:40:24 EST 1996

> To:            mol-evol at net.bio.net
> From:          un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de (slavemaster)
> Subject:       Re: Anyone Seen Evolution?

> Problem is the definition of what a species is ! as I recall correctly from
> biology 107: aspecies is defined as an organism that can produce fertile
> offspring if mated with an organism of the same species.
> With E.coli (a-sexual multiplication) or a virus, the definition of a species is almost
> impossible,

...but has been done: taxonomy committees for both groups of
organisms have defined species for both, so the mating concept falls
away.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."