Anyone Seen Evolution?

Ed Rybicki ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Thu Dec 5 03:45:12 EST 1996

Jeff wrote:
> Fascinating Ed, but tell me, what is the name of this new species that has "evolved?"  These
> appear to be examples of microevolution.  These examples cannot be used to extrapolate from E
> coli to man.  An organism adapting to its environment is a great example of natural selection,
> but natural selection is just as compatible with creation.  With the billions of years of
> evolution, there should be better examples of evolution, both in the present and in the past.
> Back to your hypothesizing Ed.....

You asked for an example one could see/watch: I gave you one.  Now
you ask for a new species...OK, recombinant geminiviruses, with
hybrid genomes, that infect wider / different host ranges of plants
(to be found all over S and N America presently) - and evidence that
an ancient recombination gave rise to an entire GENUS of
Geminiviridae (hybrid genome betweem Subgroup I and III
geminiviruses), with new properties / host range / etc.

Buth that won't satisfy you either, will it?

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."