Anyone Seen Evolution?

slavemaster un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 5 11:58:29 EST 1996

In article <m0vVd68-0004ZcC at uctmail2.uct.ac.za>, ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA says...

>> To:            mol-evol at net.bio.net
>> From:          un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de (slavemaster)
>> Subject:       Re: Anyone Seen Evolution?
>
>> Problem is the definition of what a species is ! as I recall correctly from
>> biology 107: aspecies is defined as an organism that can produce fertile
>> offspring if mated with an organism of the same species.
>> With E.coli (a-sexual multiplication) or a virus, the definition of a species is almost
>> impossible,
>
>...but has been done: taxonomy committees for both groups of
>organisms have defined species for both, so the mating concept falls
>away.

Hm interesting. I'm not familiar with this: how
is a species defined nowadays ?
(aslo: I remember a dixussion once on the telly
between creationists and normal people and in the end
the creationist had to admit that new species are being
formed. But they THEN went ahead and stated that this is still
no proof for evolution, because its unimaginable that
a complete new genus or even taxa are being formed !

But anyway: do you have examples of higher organsims
where evolution is more or less obvious ?

clemens