Use of sequence databases - ethics?

Francois Coulier coulier at infobiogen.fr
Mon Dec 9 14:55:31 EST 1996

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Wolfgang Wuster wrote:

> I was wondering whether there is a widespread consensus among molecular
> biologists regarding the extent to which published sequences can be
> re-used, and published in one's own name without it becoming a case of
> plagiarism.
>
> For instance, if researcher A is working on the phylogeny of a group of
> organisms, would he be within his rights to to download a bunch of DNA
> sequences for the same group of organisms, obtained by researcher B,
> integrate them within his analysis, and pubish the results without
> discussion with the researcher who spent years obtaining the sequences in
> the first place? Are there any limits depending on what proportion of
> another worker's data one uses?
>
> I'd be grateful for any input from readers of the ng/list.
> --
> Wolfgang Wuster
> School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, UK
> e-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
>
> Thought for the day: If you see a light at the end of the tunnel,
> it is probably a train coming your way.

I would say that when a sequence is release in a public database, it fall
in the bublic domain, and therefore can be used to the same extent as a
sequence published on paper.
It is not the same with private databases (i.e. TIGR database), but for
accessing these, you need to sign an agreement on the first place, which
usually restrict your right to use the sequences.

Francois Coulier
INSERM Unite 119
27 bd Lei Roure
13009 Marseille