Use of sequence databases - ethics?

Francois Jeanmougin pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Dec 11 03:00:57 EST 1996

In article <burmeste-1012962201030001 at lepesant1.ijm.jussieu.fr>,
	burmeste at ccr.jussieu.fr (Thorsten Burmester) writes:
[...]
>And what is the status of a _patented_ sequence in GenBank etc.? May one
>use it e.g. for phylogenetic analysis as if they were "public domain"?
[...]

	I think it's public domain. You can use it for research, but you
can't use it for commercial applications. I don't think you can sale
your phylogenetic analysis, so it's a non-profit use. The only thing I
found about that at NCBI is :
	"The patent sequences are from the U.S. Patent and Trademark
Office and from the European Patent Office and are being entered into
the database as part of an ongoing cooperative project among the U.S.,
European, and Japanese patent offices and the sequence databases."
	So... I anyone know how this works...We have patented sequences
in some team in the building. I can ask.
							Francois.
--
Francois Jeanmougin
Service de bioinformatique / bioinformatics service
e-mail : jeanmougin at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr
"C'est pas parcequ'on monte au banc, qu'il faut descendre a jeun." (Thiefaine)