Use of sequence databases - ethics?

Diane R. Stothard dianes at infect.dmed.iupui.edu
Wed Dec 11 18:01:17 EST 1996

I have published papers with others' sequences in them. I think they are
public domain, yes, but I have always cited the references for data that
are not mine. In this way, the data can be used but credit is still
given. I think it would be a mistake not to use data in databases...it
would be like ignoring it. Sometimes, additional data can support or
refute a previous hypothesis. Therefore, it is always good to include
whatever is available.