Use of sequence databases - ethics?

Ed Rybicki ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Thu Dec 12 03:35:46 EST 1996

> From:          pdxkrb at (Keith Bradnam)
> Subject:       Re: Use of sequence databases - ethics?
> I think it would get rather unfeasible to end up citing
> all references to all sequences referred to in any given study.
...For genomes such as yeast, the total number
> of references needed to make sure all sequencing groups had been
> acknowledged would be immense.

An accession number - or group thereof - is a reference, in that it
leads straight to the authors of any sequence(s).  As long as some ay
is figured for credit to be given for citation of accession numbers,
I can see no problem for their use instead of list of names.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL:
    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."