truth??...evolution??

Alex Nikitin anikiti at opie.bgsu.edu
Tue Dec 17 05:01:20 EST 1996

In article <32B52C95.2AC2 at adelaide.on.net>, Neil Aitchison
<mec at adelaide.on.net> wrote:

> Hi....I'm wondering if evolution is true or not....this web site says
> it's not....
>

> -> http://www.on.net/users/mec/answers/_3_sci.htm
>
> What do you think?

Although it is not wise to even attempt to answer such a question (no
offence), I'd like to mention a few things from that netpage mentioned in
the post, just for the fun of it, and give my brief point of view on each
of the points rised.

Quote 1:

"11. All Mankind came from One Woman.

"Adam called his wife's name Eve : because she was the mother of all
living." Genesis 3:20. DNA is
found in every cell, in both the nucleus and the mitochondrion (energy
station). Mitochondrial DNA is
always and only inherited from the mother. Analysis of this DNA in humans
from all over the world
shows unmistakably that all humans on earth have inherited it from one
woman. This research was done
by Wilson, Cann, and Stoneking from the University of California, Berkeley."

Whoever whrote this should probably try to read the source again and also
get some background in population genetics and anthropology. The authors
of the mentioned investigation never claimed our mtDNA to decent from one
woman, it is plain impossible from a population genetics point of view.
Besides, the author of the quote did't mention Adam; according to that
logic, there had to be a single Adam, preferrably living in the same
georgaphical regin as mitochondrial Eve. There's a lot more to this
discussion, but it is mostly about the phylogenetic implications of
molecular findings, the basic knowledge of wich the author of the quote
lacks.

Quote 2 (talking about the tapeworm that can be found in pork meat):
"God, by forbidding people to eat or touch pork, shows His care for us.
Question:How did the Bible know about the dangers of pork in 1500 BC?
Answer: God wrote the Bible."

Well, how about salmonella in poultry? Bowine tapeworm? Whole bunch of
different parasites in mollusks? Why such a specificity? Besides, in
Eastern Europe pork is the major food source (that and potatoes), and they
are Christians too (most of them, anyway). Now, the question about how did
the Bible know of the dangers of eating pork is very simple to answer:
SOMEBODY TASTED PORK AND GOT SICK! It desn't require God to write the
Bible in order for people to understand such simple things, unless they
(people) are incredibly dumb, which, of course, was not the case.

Overall suggestion: don't try to use netpages like that for a guide
through science; either read the Bible, or read "Science" and "Nature",
the mixture of the two opposite points of view can be dangerous! :)