Heterozygosity

T Buckley Thomas.Buckley at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jan 10 17:10:52 EST 1996

I have several populations (of different sample size) of clonal insects
that are genetically identical at all allozyme loci scored (7 variable).
However, most of the populations have different values of Nei's unbiased
heterozygosity, despite the fact all individuals are genetically
uniform.  I have heard that the reason for this, is that Nei's
heterozygosity and genetic distances are affected by sample size.

If this is the case, I would appreciate if someone could explain it to
me and/or provide references that I can cite in a publication.

Thanks