Human eye color genetics

Jim Garey garey at next.duq.edu
Mon Jan 15 07:23:36 EST 1996

A high school teacher called me the other day and asked about the
genetics of eye color, particularly because one of his students has
one brown and one hazel eye.

  I recall Tommy Smothers was like that, and I had a dog like that.
I know eye color transmission in humans is sort of Mendelian, but not
quite,  and I cannot remember the details.  I looked through the
indexes of the 10 or so genetics texts (I teach genetics) in my
office.  Not one of them talks about the transmission of eye color in
humans!!

Can anyone direct me to a reference (it doesn't have to be a primary
reference) that would explain eye color genetics  in general and
explains how individuals can have two different colored eyes?

Thanks in advance,  Jim Garey

Dr. James R. Garey
Department of Biological Sciences
Duquesne University