Cellular synthesis

Sherman L. Griffith slg at getnet.com
Tue Jan 16 20:17:59 EST 1996

I hope I got the right news group.  If not,  I'm _sure_
someone will let me know. :-)

I have read several articles over the last few years on the
origins of (cellular) life.   I want to get some references
for further reading.

I gather from my past reading that:

a)  Amino acids are found to form "naturally" in some the
hypothesized primordial soup recipes of the very distant
past,  and

b)  Small,  or short,  segments of (random) DNA or RNA have
also been observed to form in the aforementioned soup,  and

c)  "bags' of protein similar in a general way to the
protein  "sac" surrounding a cell have also been observed to
form in the soup under some conditions (and after further
"marinating").

Please forgive any mistakes of fact or terminaligy - I'm an
engineer,  not a Bio-type.  And my memory is not what it
ever was.

What is the status of the above research results?  Has
anyone got a DNA fragment to "go" into the sac?  Have
mitochondria complexes been observed to form?  Do they
contain RNA strands?  How are they formed?  Does one (only)
need DNA to "enter" to cause life processes to begin?
Can one kick-start this process,  and if so,  how?

I'm really curious.  If the above (memories of) items are
correct,  then is anyone any nearer to creating/building
cellular life? ( People would really have "kittens" over
that!)  It appears that the research folks have a lot of the
pieces to play with.  And the pieces can form naturally,  at
least under soup-type conditions.

Are there any current reference articles on this subject?
Who's doing research in this area?  I have found almost
nothing on the 'Net on this subject.  Is this because its a
non-issue?  Or is it just more pseudo-scientific crap that
got through my "filter" by mistake?

Flame-free discussion would be welcome,  either publicly or
at my e-mail address.
                                 S.L.G.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
                           - Michael Palin -