Wake up call

tehuti at eskimo.com tehuti at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 3 03:14:53 EST 1996

>   the4bps at msn.com (Bonnie and Ben Polan) writes:
>  Just a note in response to your posting:  the Tennessee legislature
>  is considering a bill which would require that evolution be taught as
>  only a theory and  would require that creationism be taught along
>  with evolution as an equal scientific theory.  It seems to be the
>  Scopes trial all over again--this time the '90's version.  We in
>  education must resist this at all costs!!!!  BP

Hasn't the Supreme Court dealt with this recently?  If I remember
correctly, a southern state law was thrown out on the grounds that
creationism is religion.  I think Scalia was the only dissenting vote.
Presumably now there would be two, but fortunately I don't think
this is going to stand.  Sounds like posturing on the part of the
tennessee legislature, although I'm not suggesting that the
promotion of ignorance is harmless.