identical twins

Brent Gilbert bg005d at uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Wed Jul 3 09:29:59 EST 1996

In <4rccbo$1hp at news2.ios.com> knanette at village.ios.com (Nanette Knaster) writes:

>If identical twins marry identical twins, are the offspring of each
>marriage (cousins) considered to be siblings genetically since both sets
>of offspring share the same gene pools.  Can someone explain this?  It was
>a discussion that came up today at the old watercooler, and I'd be much
>obliged for a scientific explanation.  Thank you.  Please respond via e-mail.

Not likely. Remember, almost every cell in the human body, save Erythrocytes
and sperm/egg cells, have two sets of chromosomes. So, let's say one set of
twins has the genotype Bb for eye color ( that is, brown eyes, but a carrier
of the blue eyes trait) and the other twin have the same, the offspring can
ber either BB, Bb, or bb, hence not identical in this respect.