identical twins

Brent Gilbert bg005d at
Wed Jul 3 09:29:59 EST 1996

In <4rccbo$1hp at> knanette at (Nanette Knaster) writes:

>If identical twins marry identical twins, are the offspring of each
>marriage (cousins) considered to be siblings genetically since both sets
>of offspring share the same gene pools.  Can someone explain this?  It was
>a discussion that came up today at the old watercooler, and I'd be much
>obliged for a scientific explanation.  Thank you.  Please respond via e-mail.

Not likely. Remember, almost every cell in the human body, save Erythrocytes
and sperm/egg cells, have two sets of chromosomes. So, let's say one set of
twins has the genotype Bb for eye color ( that is, brown eyes, but a carrier
of the blue eyes trait) and the other twin have the same, the offspring can
ber either BB, Bb, or bb, hence not identical in this respect.
Brent Gilbert (bg005d at
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" -Neil Peart