identical twins

George Gutman ggutman at MEDED.MED.UCI.EDU
Wed Jul 3 15:43:13 EST 1996

"Siblings" refers to offspring of the *same* parents, not just
genetically identical parents.  The offspring of different mating pairs
of inbred mice, for example, are not siblings, despite the fact that they
are genetically identical to each other (as well as to their parents, and
all other members of the same inbred strain).  So the human offspring in
question are certainly not "siblings".

Cheers,

     George

* George A. Gutman                                              *
* Department of Microbiology            Tel:(714)824-6593       *
*          and Molecular Genetics       FAX:(714)824-8598       *
* University of California         INTERNET: GAGUTMAN at UCI.EDU   *
* Irvine CA 92717                                               *