identical twins

Michelle Geary-Mallett ez045518 at chip.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 3 21:42:28 EST 1996

George Gutman (ggutman at MEDED.MED.UCI.EDU) wrote:
: "Siblings" refers to offspring of the *same* parents, not just
: genetically identical parents.  The offspring of different mating pairs
: of inbred mice, for example, are not siblings, despite the fact that they
: are genetically identical to each other (as well as to their parents, and
: all other members of the same inbred strain).  So the human offspring in
: question are certainly not "siblings".

I think that perhaps you are missing the intent of the original poster's
query.  She did not ask whether or not these cousins ought to be *called*
siblings -- I suspect that most of us understand that siblings are
properly understood to be the offspring of a given pair of parents --
but whether these cousins could be *considered* to be siblings
*genetically*.  I took this (in my reply) to be asking whether the
genetic makeup of one cousin would be related to the genetic makeup of
another cousin (or any possible cousins from these matings) in the same
way that the genetic makeup of one sibling is related to the genetic
makeup of another sibling.

Of course, I may have misunderstood her question.