amplifiable DNA from museum fish specimens; methods?

Axayacatl Rocha arocha at UCSD.EDU
Wed Jul 17 16:11:00 EST 1996

Bruce, although DNA can be successfully extracted, amplified and sequenced
from formalin fixed tissues of museum specimens, my experience is that the
data is extremely noisy. I have sequenced small (ca. 350 bp) fractions of
mtDNA from fishes collected and fixed in the 50s and 60s in unbuffered
formalin and it's not good. The quality of the sequence (i.e. chromatograms)
is OK but the data per se (cyt-b) is not. Maybe someone else has had better
luck. I'm curious. Axa

At 01:15 PM 7/17/96 -0700, you wrote:
> Does anyone out there have, or know of, a reliable published protocol for
>obtaining amplifiable DNA from fish specimens in museum collections---these
(snip)
>                        Bruce J. Turner
>                        Assoc. Professor of Biology
>                        VPISU
>                        Blacksburg, VA 24061
>                        (540)-231-7444 (V)
>                        (540)-231-9307 (F)
>                        fishgen at vt.edu

| Axayacatl Rocha-Olivares                      Phone: (619) 546-7104 |
| University of California, San Diego           Fax  : (619) 546-5656 |
| Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 0208                           |
| 9500 Gilman Drive                                                   |
| La Jolla, CA 92093-0208                   internet: arocha at ucsd.edu |