exons & protein domains

Bob Gross bob.gross at dartmouth.edu
Thu Jul 18 14:09:15 EST 1996

Hi folks-

I wanted to thank you all for posting here and for sending me email about my
original question. I was not aware of the depth of research done in this area,
epecially that involving exon/intron evolution. My question really deals more
with how similar exon sequences can be grouped, even if they are part of
different genes. This MAY have evolutionary implications, but our current
interest is to try and define "families" (? terminology ?) of exons that share
a common sequence motif/definition. Exon shuffling or intron insertion or
minigene joining can all contribute to this. If exons can be grouped in this
way, then it might be possible to infer potential functions for individual
exons in genes whose functions have not yet been determined.

I appreciate all your comments and am anxious to find out how our grouping
algorithm works on real data. I will post here if anything interesting turns
up.

Thanks.

Bob Gross

- Director, Computational Biology Center        email: bob.gross at dartmouth.edu
-
- Dept. Biological Sciences                     phone: 603-646-2059
-
- Dartmouth College, 6044 Gilman                  FAX: 603-646-1347
-
- Hanover, New Hampshire 03755 USA
-