exons & protein domains

David Cullinan culli at delbruck
Thu Jul 18 10:50:54 EST 1996

R M Bernstein (ralph at ccit.arizona.edu) wrote:
: In Article <4shs8v$94q at agate.berkeley.edu>, Amie Franklin <amief> wrote:
: >Bob,
: >
: >Your thesis of using exons to compare protein domains touches on a somewhat
: controversial
: >topic of introns old versus introns new (and conversely exons old versus exons
: new).  Several
: >years ago the theory was put forth (I don't remember the author) that new
: proteins arise from
: >exon shuffling and consequently both exons and introns are ancient.

I missed the original post in this thread, but from the included text I've
seen in the replies, you might be interested in some of the papers from Go
(Motiko Go?  I'm not 100% sure on the first name).  She was working on
correlations between exon-encoded parts of proteins and folding domains, and
some of her work was pretty convincing.

-Dave Cullinan