Deliberate conscious evolution

Chris Barry chbarry at llnl.gov
Fri Jul 26 11:05:35 EST 1996

Catherine woodgold wrote:

> In article <31F675F1.9434368 at llnl.gov>, Chris Barry <chbarry at llnl.gov> writes:
> >Funmental wrote:
> >>
> >> Can an organism's mental states (such as ourselves) communicate to our
> >> reproductive cells (egg,sperm) and somehow change the DNA to reflect a
> >> "higher state" that might be transmitted to the next generation?
> >

> People can consciously choose to select an embryo which doesn't have
> a genetic disease, for example, or select a sperm of desired sex.
> OK, selecting the egg, sperm or embryo isn't quite the same as
> changing the DNA in an existing cell, but maybe someday that too
> will be possible.  In a science-fiction story, people would select
> the desired combination of their chromosomes (e.g. "give the child
> my curly hair, his high intelligence, etc.") and doctors would
> find for them one of their embryos with a combination close to
> what they chose.  Thus, humans consciously evolved.  I admit that's
> just science-fiction, but the reality today of parents choosing
> embryos that don't have a specific disease seems part of the
> same continuum to me.
>
> Cathy                                   TISSATAAFL

Well Cathy.. While that may be true, it has nothing to do with the
initial question. "Can an organism's mental states communicate to our
reproductive cells?". No other organism besides man can do what you
explained and I dont think anyone has discovered a physiological pathway
that can do the equivalent.

Chris