Deliberate conscious evolution

//www.morlan at //www.morlan at
Fri Jul 26 19:56:15 EST 1996

> In article <31F675F1.9434368 at llnl.gov>, Chris Barry <chbarry at llnl.gov> writes:
> >Funmental wrote:
> >>
> >> Can an organism's mental states (such as ourselves) communicate to our
> >> reproductive cells (egg,sperm) and somehow change the DNA to reflect a
> >> "higher state" that might be transmitted to the next generation?
> >

> >NO!
> >
> >Chris
>
> Yes, actually.  Sort-of, anyway.
>
> People can consciously choose to select an embryo which doesn't have
> a genetic disease, for example, or select a sperm of desired sex.
> OK, selecting the egg, sperm or embryo isn't quite the same as
> changing the DNA in an existing cell, but maybe someday that too
> will be possible.  In a science-fiction story, people would select
> the desired combination of their chromosomes (e.g. "give the child
> my curly hair, his high intelligence, etc.") and doctors would
> find for them one of their embryos with a combination close to
> what they chose.  Thus, humans consciously evolved.  I admit that's
> just science-fiction, but the reality today of parents choosing
> embryos that don't have a specific disease seems part of the
> same continuum to me.
>

> Cathy                                   TISSATAAFL
> "subscribe" to rachel-weekly-request at world.std.com for
> RACHEL'S ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH WEEKLY

It has been reported in various ways over the years that a society under stress
in situations such as war will find that the birthrate of boys will increase.
This indcrease is over and above the normal excess of boys born in normal times.
I don't know if reliable statistical studies have been made or that the reports
to which I refer are anecdotal.  It would make an interesting subject for a
dissertation in the field of reproduction and sure to raise a firestorm of
controversy if the reports have statistical support.
james
----

Century Telephone