CSTB Bulletin - Spring 96 Issue, with molecular evol. article

Tue Jul 30 22:39:23 EST 1996

The following experiment in e-mail publishing contains:

Spirov, A.V. (1996). Self-assemblage of gene nets in evolution via
recruiting of new netters. Bull. Can. Soc. Theor. Biol.

plus a commentary I wrote. Thought some of you might be interested in
continuing this dialogue.  -Dick Gordon

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:29:52 +0600
From: Denis Thieffry <denis at cifn.unam.mx>
To: cstb at scotia.dfo.ca
Subject: CSTB Bulletin - Spring 96 Issue

Dear colleague,

The new issue of the CSTB Bulletin is now available on the web. You will
find a link to it in the CSTB Home page, at the url:

http://biome.bio.ns.ca/science/cstb/cstb.html

We are including below the contents of this 96'Spring issue, along the
editorial and the abstract of a long and rich paper by Alexander SPIROV.

Best regards,

Denis Thieffry (CSTB Bulletin Editor)

                     CSTB BULLETIN SPRING 96 -  CONTENTS

EDITORIAL

PAPERS AND COMMENTS

Alexander SPIROV: Self-assemblage of gene nets in evolution via recruiting
of new netters.

Richard GORDON: Coments on Spirov's paper.

BOOK REVIEWS

A. V. TYLER: Dynamics of Marine Ecosystems: Biological-Physical
Interactions in the Oceans, by K. H. MANN and J. R. N. LAZIER (1991).

William SILVERT: Dynamic Modeling in Behavioral Ecology, by Marc MANGEL and
Colin W. CLARK (1988).

Denis THIEFFRY: Understanding Nonlinear Dynamics, by Daniel KAPLAN and Leon
GLASS (1995).

MEETING ACCOUNTS

Ramit MEHR and Alan PERELSON: Modeling development and differentiation in
the immune system, Los Alamos, NM, USA, December 1995.

Leah KESHET: International Workshop on Spatial Heterogeneity and Temporal
Complexity in Biological System., Bath, UK, April 1996.

MEETING ANNOUCEMENTS

SMB Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, USA, August 1996.

3rd European Conference on Mathematics applied to Biology and Medicine,
Heidelberg, Germany, October 1996.

Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing '97, Maui, Hawaii, January 1997.

CSTB INFORMATION

                     CSTB BULLETIN SPRING 96 -  EDITORIAL

We are convinced that there is a real need for an informal and interactive
medium like the one you are presently reading, but the start proved to be
rather slow. Provisionally, we plan to publish two issues of the Bulletin
per year, one around Spring and the other around Fall.

In order to speed the pace a little bit and to increase interaction among
the community of theoretical biologists, we are presently seeking ways to
widen both the Bulletin editorial board and its audience. This could be
done by increasing exchanges with other societies of
theoretical/mathematical biology across the world (e.g., Society of
Mathematical Biology, European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical
Biology, etc.).

The present issue includes a unique, but unusually long paper by A. Spirov,
along with a comment by R. Gordon. We hope that this will initiate more
interactions among paper authors and Bulletin readers. In addition, this
issue contains three book reviews, two workshop reports, and a few meeting
announcements.

There are already several papers sheduled for the next issues. However, we
would like to encourage the submission of further contributions, ranging
from short research reports, to comments, meeting accounts and book
reviews.

Note that we do not claim copyright on any material published in the Bulletin.

Have a nice read!

Denis Thieffry (Editor of the CSTB Bulletin)

                     CSTB BULLETIN SPRING 96 -  ABSTRACT

   SELF-ASSEMBLAGE OF GENE NETS IN EVOLUTION VIA RECRUITING OF NEW NETTERS

                              Alexander V. Spirov
     I.M. Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry
                  44, Thorez Pr, St-Petersburg,194223, Russia

                             Email: : spirov at iephb.ru

To understand the conditions under which mutations and selection can lead
to rising level of organisation is of importance for evolutionary biology
as well as in computer simulations of evolution. It is well-known that
biological morphogenesis is the result of a co-operative self-regulating,
self-organising processes that is controlled by the genome.

This paper describes our first steps toward a biologically defensible model
of the growth of the Drosophila segmentation gene network over evolutionary
time ("evolutionary growth"). The identification of controller genes has
been a significant recent finding in developmental biology. Networks and
cascades of controller genes serve to orchestrate expression of the genome
during embryo development. Now we have a lot of knowledge about mechanisms
of appearance and maintenance of patterns of the expression of controller
genes. The activity of networks as a kind of self-organising mechanism of
morphogenesis allows natural selection to be viewed in a richer light.
Selection algorithms applied to these self-organising mechanisms can
dramatically accelerate evolutionary complexification of developmental
processes.

We use up to date knowledge about the structure, function and evolution of
real gene networks for the purposes of computer simulation of the
self-organisation of networks during evolution. Our computer simulations of
evolution of gene networks governing embryo morphogenesis show the
possibility for self-organisation or self-assemblage (or "evolutionary
growth") of the networks. This self-assemblage proceeds by means of
recruiting of new genes via closing up of new pathways of interactions
between new and old members of the network.

                     CSTB BULLETIN SPRING 96 -  END

Dr Denis THIEFFRY (Ed. CSTB Bulletin)
Laboratorio de Biologia Computational              Tel: (52-73)13-20-63
CIFN - UNAM                                        Fax: (52-73)17-55-81
A.P. 565-A,  Cuernavaca, Morelos 62100, Mexico