exons & protein domains

Wnn System Account wnn at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Wed Jul 31 12:14:06 EST 1996

in an article that seems never to have reached me, (only Andrew Roger's reply)
Gary Dos Santos wrote:

> This is off the topic, but I was wondering if any algorithms have been
> written that allow for the generation of phylogenetic trees by aligning
> structural domains. A typical protein does not have all that many
> structural domains, certainly not enough to perform a bootstrap
> analysis. It seems to me then, that by using structural domains as a
> criteria for protein alignment, one could not obtain the amount of data
> necessary for estimating the degree of relatedness between groups of
> proteins, but could only say that such and such proteins are related.

Am I missing something or is Dos Santos saying that we can only bootstrap
by sampling (or omitting) whole domains?  Why can't we boostrap by sampling
individual sites?

--
Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)