Q: error rates of reverse transcriptases

Karl Schmid kschmid at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Jun 19 03:03:42 EST 1996

Hi,

I isolated and sequenced 10 pairs of homologous cDNAs from two closely
related Drosophila species. The degree of sequence similarity between the two species
is very high. Errors which have been introduced
during cDNA synthesis (I used the Stratagene lambda ZAPII system) may increase
the number of substitutions and lead to wrong estimates of evolutionary rates.

For that reason I would like to know how many synthesis errors one can expect
as consequence of cDNA synthesis and library construction.
If anyone has experience with this problem or knows literature about it, I would
be grateful if he or she lets me know.

Thanks in advance,

Karl
Karl Schmid                Email:   kschmid at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Zoologisches Institut      Tel.:    +49 89 5902 444
Universitaet Muenchen      Fax.:    +49 89 5902 450
Luisenstr.14
80333 Muenchen, Germany