http://www.bio.net/hypermail/MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION/lost of genes in primate

R M Bernstein ralph at ccit.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 1 00:28:11 EST 1996

In Article <4h4ov3$agc at badger.heurikon.com>, jeff at cher.heurikon.com (Jeffrey
Mattox) wrote:
>My example was the salamander, but there are other cases where genomes
>have more genes but the organisms are though of as "less complex."  The
>paradox is that the amount of DNA or the number of genes do not
>correlate with "complexity."  Genetic complexity and physiological
>complexity are not tightly coupled.
>
>Jeff
>--

OK, i'll bite: What is an example of an organism that has more _coding_
sequences but is considered less complex than another comperable organism
with _less coding_ sequences.  Answers must 1) identify extant organisms and
2) number of said genes must be greater than a log and 3) organisms within
the same family do not count.  Tax, title and licenses do not apply.

Ralph

R.M. Bernstein
Dept of Micro/Immuno
University of Arizona