http://www.bio.net/hypermail/MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION/lost of genes in primate

Stephen Wray stevew at debretts.Comp.VUW.AC.NZ
Sat Mar 2 03:22:29 EST 1996

 Shane> Jeff continued:
 >> The paradox is that the amount of DNA or the number of genes do not
 >> correlate with "complexity."  Genetic complexity and physiological
 >> complexity are not tightly coupled.

What if the function of the non-coding segments were structural, or coded
"for" higher-level operators...

My idea here is that
chromosomes are folded & twisted in very complex ways. These are
not exactly random, but relate to the structure of the chromosome.

What if these folds & twists were relevant to replication? Or in
expression ?

In that case, they need not be information rich (in an
information-theoretic sense) in order to be complex (in a structural
or functional sense.

Bear in mind that I am a computer scientist, not a biologist.

I'm looking at ways of using "non-coding" sequences to code for
crossover and mutation operators. This would mean that  these
operators could adapt along with the "coding" sequences.

In essence, each individual would carry its own mutation & crossover
operators.