decay indices

Mark Dowton mark_dowton at uow.edu.au
Fri Mar 1 05:26:24 EST 1996

Dear Nico,

As far as I know, the original article describing decay indices was by
Bremer (1988)  The limits of amino acid sequence data in angiosperm
phylogenetic reconstruction.  Evolution 42:795-803.  However, I'm not sure
whether the author actually called them decay indices, but the idea is the
same.

You can calculate them within PAUP by searching for the shortest trees, but
constrained not to include the node in question.

Cheers, Mark Dowton
Dept Biology
Wollongong University
Wollongong  2522