Aquatic Ape Theory

Sherman L. Griffith slg at getnet.com
Tue Mar 5 13:30:10 EST 1996

skocher at itsmail1.hamilton.edu (Scott D. Kocher) wrote:

>  Does anyone know about the Aquatic Ape Theory (AAT), which postulates
>that man descended from the apes only after undergoing a period of marine
>habitation?  The theory attempts to explain why humans have oily skin and
>very few hairs, are bipedal, produce tears, breath through the nose, and
>some other strange adaptations which are unusual for terrestrial mammals.
>  I came across the AAT home page on the Web, and was curious to know how
>legitimate this theory is for the rest of the scientific community.

>Scott

>____________________
>Scott D. Kocher
>Hamilton College
>Clinton, NY 13323
>skocher at hamilton.edu

Check out sci.anthropology.paleo archives for a rip-roaring
set of debates involving Elaine Morgan and others.  The
"traditionalists" (my word)  proceeded to shred the theory,
then EM rebutted with style and grace,  and this repeated
repeatedly 8-)

IMHO neither Savannah,  Mosaic,  nor AAT has sufficient hard
evidence to be declared "winner".  But what do I know...

It was one hell of a debate though!
                                 S.L.G.

                  Belief gets in the way of learning.
                         - Robert A. Heinlein -