Cheetah bottleneck

Lord of the Flies mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 13 13:37:55 EST 1996

In article <3146F1BE.2781E494 at unity.ncsu.edu>,
Susan Jane Hogarth  <sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>I've heard "somewhere" that Cheetahs were thought to have gone through a
>genetic "bottleneck" a long time before humans could possibly have been
>responsible. [...]
	Using a Medline keyword search for "cheetah and (population or
evolution)" netted me a baker's dozen of articles published in the last
ten years. That's the _entire_ literature on the species. The data seem
to support a substantial bottlenecking around 10K years ago, at the end
of the Pleistocene, when many largish land mammals went extinct all around
the world. Note this coincides with the start of the current interglacial
period. I suspect it's a hard call whether aboriginal human hunting can be
fully discounted as causative of the cheetah bottleneck, just as I suspect
it's a hard call whether the extinction of woolly mammoth was not human-
caused.

	Spend an afternoon in the library & get back to us, OK? :)

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu)
(c) 1996; all rights reserved. Permission granted for Usenet quotation