Why look at G+C content?

Mary K. Kuhner mkkuhner at phylo.genetics.washington.edu
Thu Mar 14 11:50:21 EST 1996

labonnes at csc.albany.edu (S. LaBonne) writes:
>Either I'm missing something badly here, or the other respondents to
>this thread are.  So here goes: your average Joe molecular biologist
>is interested in G+C content mainly because it's directly related to
>the thermal stability (melting point) of the DNA.

>Steve LaBonne ********************* (labonnes at cnsunix.albany.edu)

But your average Joe phylogeneticist is interested in nucleotide content
because if you ignore it you may inappropriately group two taxa together
because they have independently evolved towards the same non-standard
nucleotide content.  G+C is not the only possible issue here, though
I do think it's the most likely to cause trouble.

Mary Kuhner mkkuhner at genetics.washington.edu