Codon usage

Christophe Antoniewski antoniew at citi2.fr
Thu Mar 14 13:57:29 EST 1996

Dear all,

I need some help concerning differences in the usage of synonymous codons
within a single gene:

I have investigated the distribution of rarely used codons in a highly
expressed larval hemolymph protein of Drosophila. I found that there is an
accumulation of non-optimal codons (according to the Drosophila codon
usage table) at the N-terminal and the C-terminal ends.

I am aware of the paper of Akashi (Genetics, 136, 927-935, 1994) providing
evidence for selection for "optimal" codons in structural important
regions. However, in this case it seems as if there were a preference of
"non-optimal" codons in some regions of the gene. How to explain this
phenomenon? Translational slowdown, e.g. for proper folding of the nascent
protein?

Any idea? Or does anybody know a relevant reference of a similar example?

Thanks, Thorsten

Dr. Thorsten Burmester
Institut Jacques-Monod              Tel: (+33) 1 44 27 40 94
CNRS et Universite Paris 7          Fax: (+33) 1 44 27 52 65
2 place Jussieu                     email: burmeste at ccr.jussieu.fr
F-75251 Paris CEDEX 05
France