Deliberate conscious evolution

Andrew Mitchell moths at Glue.umd.edu
Thu Mar 14 11:20:28 EST 1996

In article <1996Mar13.193302.19695 at k12.oit.umass.edu>,
Jill Turner (Mohawk Trail RHS) <jiturner at k12.ucs.umass.edu> wrote:

>	I would like to know if anyone out there has encountered any
>unorthodox theories of evolution.  This could be anywhere from the ideas
>of Rudolplh Shledrake to   Lamarkck.  I somehow am unable to believe that
>such an elaborate process that came up with such complex forms as ourselves
>happened purely by random genetic mutation.  Does any one else think
>this?

See Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 26: 423-444 (1995) for a review of "Genetic
Mosaicism in Plants and Clonal Animals".  This hypothesis has a somewhat
Lamarkian flavor, inasmuch as one sees a kind of inheritance of acquired
characters - explained by natural selection nonetheless!  Interesting
reading!

Andrew Mitchell
Department of Entomology
University of Maryland