Cheetah bottleneck

marty marty
Fri Mar 15 16:59:02 EST 1996

In article <31486592.41C67EA6 at unity.ncsu.edu>, sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
says...

>Susan;
Forget it. My admittedly elementary genetics textbook example was not
meant to be patronizing, but I see now how it could be taken as such.
One problem (believe me, I know there were many) with the class was the
great disparity in the genetics background of different students, so my
lectures in population genetics were very elementary for students like
yourself, but there were equal numbers of students in the class who
had never been exposed to this before.  Your question regarding current
numbers of cheetahs was probably what threw me into the lecture/tirade
since, as you are well aware, current numbers would have little
relevance to the effects of past bottlenecks.
Marty

PS,  IMHO as an admitted expresso junkie, the benefits of caffeine far
outweigh the risks.