Cheetah bottleneck

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Mar 17 18:52:30 EST 1996

marty, carson wrote:

> Your question regarding current
> numbers of cheetahs was probably what threw me into the lecture/tirade
> since, as you are well aware, current numbers would have little
> relevance to the effects of past bottlenecks.

Ah,
Part of my disagreement with others about the cheetah revolve around whether it is
considered an endangered species because of the involvement of man (hunting+habitait
destruction = low numbers), or because of a past bottleneck (low genetic variabilty.

> PS,  IMHO as an admitted expresso junkie, the benefits of caffeine far
> outweigh the risks.

hehe, that's an ongoing point of dispute between myself and my husband (an abstainer ;-)

Thanks for the gracious reply.
--

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

       .      .-~\