Pedagogical introduction, where?

Axayacatl Rocha arocha at UCSD.EDU
Wed Mar 20 13:57:34 EST 1996

At 07:47 PM 3/19/96 GMT, you wrote:

&<

>Would
>
>Hillis, Morritz, Mabel (eds); Molecular Systematics, Sinauer Associates
Inc; 1996.

>be OK for me?

Dear Rolf,

I have the first ed. of Hillis and Morritz (-w/o Mabel-) and IMHO it's an
excellent recopilation of protocols and a brief intro to concepts related to
the use and misuse of molecular tools for phylogenetic reconstruction at
different levels of organization (i.e. from population structure to
phylogentics, sensu sticto). Due to the heavy emphasis on the practical
aspects (i.e. most of the book is devoted to protocols and "how to" issues)
it might be a little overwhelming for your interests, though you might find
the capters dealing with sampling design and analysis tools of interest to
you and they are fairly readable. I have not seen the new edition of the
book so I'm affraid this posting is somewhat tangential in that respect. Oh
well! I DO recommend, however, Avise's review book "Molecular markers,
natural history and evolution" 1994 Chapman & Hall, which you might find
fascinating from cover to cover, it is not overly detailed in "high caliber"
molecular biology though. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Axa Rocha

| Axayacatl Rocha-Olivares                      Phone: (619) 546-7104 |
| University of California, San Diego           Fax  : (619) 546-5656 |
| Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 0208                           |
| 9500 Gilman Drive                                                   |
| La Jolla, CA 92093-0208                   internet: arocha at ucsd.edu |