Genetic Code Evolution

John R. Jungck jungck at BELOIT.EDU
Mon Mar 25 16:13:14 EST 1996

>Could anyone point me to a nice review on the evolution of the genetic
>code..
>Thanks in Advance
>Jeff

Dear Jeff:

By snail mail, I will send you copies of three old articles of mine.  In
the first one, I review five major theories for the origins of genetic
codes:

(1) Frozen accident
(2) Mutation prevention
(3) Direct Interaction
(4) Vocabulary Expansion
(5) Translational Error/Ambiguity Reduction

While the work is old, I find that most articles that I have read since
then still fit quite well into this taxonomic scheme.

John R. Jungck. 1984. The adaptationist programme in molecular evolution.
The origins of genetic codes. In Molecular Evolution and Protobiology,  K.
Matsuno, K. Dose, K. Harada, and D. L. Rohlfing, eds., Plenum Press: New
York, pp. 345-364.

Martha O. Bertman and John R. Jungck. 1979. Group graph of the Genetic
Code. Journal of Heredity 70: 379-384.

John R. Jungck. 1978. The genetic code as a periodic table. Journal of
Molecular Evolution 11: 211-224.

I would appreciate comments on my work.  While I have been primarily
working in biology education for the past twelve years, I still carry a few
undergraduates doing research in mathematical molecular evolution with me
each year.

Thanks for your interest in a life long love of a problem.

Sincerely,

John

>Jeff Huckaby                                                      Jeff Huckaby
>Department of Biology                                                  426 OML
>email huckabyj at minerva.cis.yale.edu                            Yale University
>office:(203) 432-3877                                      New Haven, CT 06511
>WWW http://www.yale.edu/~huckabyj/topbio.html               Lab:(203) 432-3982

*       John R. Jungck

*       Department of Biology

*       Beloit College

*       700 College Street

*       Beloit, WI 53511 U.S. A.

*

*       Voice:  (608)-363-2226

*       FAX:    (608)-363-2052

*        email: jungck at beloit.edu

BioQUEST Curriculum Consortium homepage:
http://www.beloit.edu/~bquest
The BioQUEST Library homepage:
http://terrapin.umd.edu/BioQUEST_Libray.html
Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching homepage:
http://papa.indstate.edu/Oh/amcbt/bioscene.html/