Euglena Absorption Spectrum Exp.

BW wolfstar at atcon.com
Wed May 1 16:57:42 EST 1996

I am a grade 12 High school student in Nova Scotia, and I have just done an experiment
which compares the absorption spectrum of euglena to that of a common house fern.  This was
done to demonstrate an evolutionary connection between the euglena and primitive plants.
Because my resources were limited, (in addition, time restraints were / are pressing),  I was
unable to extract the chlorophyll from the euglena.  I also had no idea how to do this since I had
never heard of anyone attempting the procedure before.  So I simply used the entire euglena
rather than extracting its chlorophyll, (I just hoped that the eyespot's absorption wouldn't
adversly affect the outcome).  The fern which I compared it to, had its pigment extracted by
crushing it in a molecular solvent, according to standard procedure.
														I was hoping	that perhaps some one had attempted a similar analysis of euglena (with or
without extracting the chlorophyll) and if they would mind sharing their results in brief for the
purpose of comparison.  My BIO teacher said it would be beneficial  to find someone else who'd
obtained results from a similar procedure, and then compare and contrast the two procedures
and results in the write-up.  Any help would be very much appreciated as soon as possible, (it's
due on Monday, May  6).