Evolution of Superoxide Dismutase?

Dave Edgell dedgell at ac.dal.ca
Tue May 7 06:13:27 EST 1996

Michael R. King wrote:

> Does anyone please have any citations that may elude to the possible
> evolution of superoxide dismutase?  The only papers I have come across were
> discussing the use of SOD as molecular clocks but these don't suit my
> purposes. I would appreciate any information.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Michael R. King
> king1 at students.uiuc.edu

Check out Smith, Feng and Doolittle's paper discussing lateral gene
transfers:

Smith, M.W. et al. 1992. Evolution by acquisition: the case for
horizontal gene transfers. Trends in Biochem. Sci., 17:489-93.

In this paper they show a Fe/Mn SOD tree and discuss the
significance of a eubacterial Fe SOD gene in Entamoeba histolytica.
If you are interested in Cu/Zn SOD, there are several papers
in the Journal of Molecular Evolution over the last 5 years.
As you may or may not know Cu/Zn and Fe/Mn SODs are not
detectably related.

Cheers
Andrew J. Roger
aroger at ac.dal.ca
Dept. Biochemistry,
Dalhousie University
Halifax, N.S.
B3H 4H7
ph: 902 494 3569
FAX: 902 494 1355

PS- If you want to know an interesting wrinkle on the Fe/Mn SOD
story, email me and I will discuss it with you!