New Software -- Phylogenetic Signal Detection

Guy Hoelzer hoelzer at unr.edu
Thu May 9 16:31:33 EST 1996

************ Announcing RASA 1.1.1 and RASA Plot 1.1.1 **************

Nascent software for the Mac that will perform "Relative Apparent
Synapomorphy Analysis", a test for the presence of phylogenetic signal
in any type of discrete character data matrix (morphological or
molecular), is now available at the following URL as a binhexed
self-extracting archive:

http://loco.biology.unr.edu/archives/rasa/rasa.html

There you'll find rasa.sea, which contains the following:

        RASA 1.1.1      <-- Reads a data file, measures signal,
                            and writes a file readable by:
        RASA Plot 1.1.1 <-- Allows you to plot the results of the test.
        RASA.help       <-- A help file that you might find, well, helpful
        sample1         <-- A sample data file with no signal.
        sample2         <-- A sample data file with signal.

Although this software is in the beta stage, I consider the output to be
reliable.  The reference for the algorithm and detailed justification
and discussion of limitations of the approach can be expected in July:

Lyons-Weiler, J., G.A. Hoelzer, and R.J. Tausch. 1996. Relative Apparent
Synapomorphy Analysis (RASA) I: the statistical measurement of
phylogenetic signal.  Molecular Biology and Evolution, in press.

Access by anonymous ftp is currently under construction, and a more
sophisticated version in under development.  Send questions off the list;
FAQs will be included as a file as they arrive.

  \  /   /    \  /           JAMES LYONS-WEILER           ______________
   \/   /      \/                                        |..............|
     \/       /              DOCTORAL PROGRAM IN         |..............|
      \      /               ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, AND     |...***........|
       \    /                CONSERVATION BIOLOGY        |..*****.......|
         \/                  1000 VALLEY ROAD/186        |********......|
   | will perform |          NEVADA, RENO
   |  statistical |          RENO, NEVADA 89512-0013
   | phylogenetic |